Saigoneer

BackHeritage » Saigon » Cột Cờ Thủ Ngữ: Overlooked Saigon Landmark Gets a Makeover

Cột Cờ Thủ Ngữ: Overlooked Saigon Landmark Gets a Makeover

Flanked by a busy road and overshadowed by an unfinished skyscraper, you'd be forgiven if you rarely noticed the Signal Mast (Cột cờ Thủ Ngữ) where Ton Duc Thang and Vo Van Kiet streets intermingle. 

Decades of development have isolated this peninsula from the rest of the District 1 waterfront and nearby pedestrian street. But what looks like a glorified flagpole to most is actually a relic of the earliest days of Saigon, and has seen the city transform form a backwater fishing village into a full-blown metropolis. After a recent facelift, perhaps it will get a bit more attention.

On January 4, the Department of Construction and the Department of Architecture and Planning held an inauguration ceremony following the renovation project, including repairs, repainting, the installation of a light system, and the creation of a new park covering an area of 3,530 square meters. The city hopes that the renovation will facilitate a revival of the site and again become a point of leisure for Saigon's residents.

According to historian Tim Doling, the signal mast was built by Captain Laurent-Joseph Lejeune in October 1865 as a communication tool for vessels on the Saigon river using signal flags. Beyond its intended function, it became an important feature of early colonial Saigon as it "signalled the impending arrival of war, commerce and mail ships, which had been announced by telegraph from cap Saint-Jacques [Vũng Tàu]," wrote Charles Lemire in his 1869 book Cochinchine française et royaume de Cambodge.

The Signal Mast in 1867. Photo via Flickr user manhhai.

The flagpole was replaced in 1900, when it became a popular public space and home to a bar. Later, it was the site of a fierce battle between local forces and British Indian troops in an effort to reestablish French control over the city following the Japanese surrender in 1945.

The Signal Mast in 1921. Photo via Flickr user manhhai.

Related Articles

in Saigon

Date With The Wrecking Ball: Ba Son Shipyard

According to a recent article in Thanh Niên newspaper, the Ba Son Shipyard – Saigon’s oldest and most important maritime heritage site, recognised by the Ministry of Culture and Information in 1993 as...

in Saigon

Old Saigon Building of the Week: The Iconic Tan Dinh Market

Originally known as the marché de Phu-Hoa, Tân Định Market at 1 Nguyen Huu Cau in District 1 is one of the city’s most historic markets, but it was the opening of the stylish French market building of...

in Saigon

Saigon’s Famous Streets and Squares: Quách Thị Trang Square

In this, the first of a new series about the history of the famous streets and squares of Saigon and Chợ Lớn, Tim Doling looks at the history of Quách Thị Trang square.

in Music & Arts

A Halcyon Hanoi in the Art of Joseph Inguimberty, the Professor Who Taught Lê Phổ

In 1925, Joseph Inguimberty stepped into the tropical humidity of Hanoi for the first time. Despite having been to Italy, Greece and even Egypt, the 29-year-old art professor probably couldn’t imagine...

in Saigon

Date With the Wrecking Ball: The Cercle Sportif Saigonnais

Local conservation groups have expressed concern about a plan approved by the Ho Chi Minh City Labor Culture Palace to demolish the much-loved 1925 Cercle Sportif Saigonnais and replace it with a stat...

in Saigon

Date With the Wrecking Ball: The Former Secretariat du Gouvernement Building, 59-61 Ly Tu Trong

The project to build a new City Administration Centre behind the Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee involves the destruction of several heritage buildings. The art deco office and apartment block at ...