Saigoneer

BackHeritage » Saigon » 10 Old Pictures (and History) of the Saigon Opera House

10 Old Pictures (and History) of the Saigon Opera House

The Saigon Opera House (aka the Municipal Theatre) is one of Saigon’s oldest buildings and one of the city’s best examples of classical French architecture. Constructed at the turn of the 20th century, it has performed many functions throughout its history, from theatre to refuge shelter to legislative offices.

Western theatre in Saigon began in 1863 when colonialists brought a troupe in to perform for the French legion at the villa of the French admiral at the present day corner of Dong Khoi and Nguyen Du Streets. Around 1897, construction began on the Opėra de Saigon and it was completed in 1900.

Though built earlier, it was soon eclipsed in size by the Hanoi Opera House which opened ten years later. However, the buildings were built in different architectural styles – the Saigon Opera House incorporated French Third Republic design elements of the Petit Palais while its northern counterpart was modeled after the Palais Garnier.

In its first iteration, the Saigon Opera House could hold 1,800 theatre goers and featured detailed inscriptions, décor and furnishings, all imported from France.

During the period between WWI and WWII, night halls and dance clubs became the preferred entertainment in the Saigon and the Opera House was used sparingly. To make is seem more youthful, in 1943 French colonial authorities removed its statues, decorations and engravings.

But this was all for naught as Allied bombing of Japanese-occupied Saigon damaged the building in 1944.

By the time the French returned to South Vietnam in 1945, their focus had shifted from cultural colonization to military occupation and the theatre was used as a temporary shelter for French civilians fleeing the Viet Minh controlled north.

In 1954, the French left South Vietnam and the building was restored as the seat of the Lower House of the State of Vietnam, then the Republic of Vietnam.

After unification in 1975, it was recommissioned as a theatre and was extensively restored between 1995 – 1998.

Related Articles:

- The Remarkable Tale of Ben Thanh Market

- 10 Old Pictures of Advertisements in Saigon 

- Gangsters of Old Saigon: Binh Xuyen

Related Articles

in Saigon

10 Old Photos Of Carriages In Saigon

Before motorized transportation was the norm in Saigon, horse-drawn carts were used to move both goods and people.

in Saigon

10 Old Pictures of Advertisements in Saigon

Before 1975, large advertisements were commonplace in Saigon. But after the American War and the fall of capitalism in the South, ads were considered a vestige of the old order and were heavily regula...

in Saigon

10 Old Pictures of Art Deco Buildings in Saigon

Art deco is by far our favorite architectural style, one which luckily, Saigon has in spades. However, with each passing day, these buildings are being torn down to make way for modern structures whic...

in Saigon

10 Old Pictures of Cars in Saigon

Though cars have been present in the country since the turn of the 20th century, decades of war (1941 – 1975) and an economic stagnation (1975 – 1986) drastically reduced the number of automobiles in ...

in Saigon

10 Old Pictures of People in Saigon

We often look to old buildings in order reconnect with the past since they are clear and static reference points. Though useful, another important window into the past is the day-to-day lives of peopl...

in Saigon

10 Old Pictures of Saigon Cyclo Drivers

Even though Saigon has gone through many changes over the last century, there are certain characteristics of the city that have endured. Before the age of the motorbike, cyclos were one of the most c...

Partner Content

Video »

BUDX HCMC