BackHeritage » Saigon » Saigon’s Famous Streets and Squares: Thái Văn Lung Street

Saigon’s Famous Streets and Squares: Thái Văn Lung Street

One of the city's oldest thoroughfares, the street we know today as Thái Văn Lung bore the name Pasteur Street for over half a century.


Related Articles:

Saigon’s Famous Streets And Squares: Hai Bà Trưng Street

Saigon’s Famous Streets And Squares: Lê Duẩn Street

Saigon’s Famous Streets And Squares: Tôn Thất Thiệp Street


When Admiral-Governor Louis-Adolphe Bonard (1805-1867) founded the Military Hospital (Hôpital Militaire) in 1862, the street we know today as Thái Văn Lung was laid out as the main road leading to the main hospital gate. It was known for more than 35 years as the Rue de l'Hôpital.

In the early days, those taking the Rue de l'Hôpital from the quayside to the Military Hospital had to cross the Junction Canal, which ran from northeast to southwest between the modern Nguyễn Siêu and Cao Bá Quát intersections. This canal was one of several downtown canals filled by 1868 for hygienic reasons.

The Rue de l’Hôpital with Junction Canal bridge in 1865.

It was within the grounds of the Military Hospital that the first Pasteur Institute outside the Métropole was established in 1891. Appropriately enough, in 1897, two years after the death of Louis Pasteur, the Municipal Council renamed the Rue de l'Hôpital as Rue Pasteur, a name which it retained right down to 1955.

Located in the heart of Saigon’s Naval Port, the street bordered the main Marine Artillery and Naval Stores (Manutention) and was also home to numerous other naval offices, including the Port of War Directorate (Direction du Port de Guerre), the Office of Naval Administration (Bureau de l’Administration de la Marine), the Clerks and Workers of the Colonial Troops Section (Section des Commis et Ouvriers des Troupes colonials) and, at its northern end on the site of the modern IDECAF, the Naval Health Service (Service de Santé Militaire and Direction de l’Intendance).

By the early 20th century, the street also incorporated several residential villas which became home to wealthy colonial settlers.

The Rue de l’Hôpital was renamed rue Pasteur in 1897.

In 1955, the street was renamed Đường Đồn Đất (Earthen Fortress street) in reference to a makeshift military fortification built by French forces in the area around the modern Thái Văn Lung-Lê Thánh Tôn junction during the 1859 conquest of Saigon. Even today, many older Vietnamese people still refer to the Grall Hospital as Nhà thương Đồn Đất. In the same year, the name Pasteur was transferred to the street which had been known throughout the colonial period as Rue Pellerin.

The Rue Pasteur became Đường Đồn Đất in 1955.

In 1995, the street was rechristened again, this time after lawyer and National Assembly member Thái Văn Lung (1916-1946), a native of Thủ Đức who took an active role in the revolutionary struggle to prevent the return of the French after World War II, leading to his capture and death by torture in a French jail.

Following the departure of the French, the former offices of the Military Health Service were demolished and a French cultural center known as the Viện Văn hóa Pháp tại Sài Gòn was established on the site. In 1982, this became the Institut d’Échanges Culturels avec la France (IDECAF), today one of the city’s most active cultural institutions.

Viện Văn hóa Pháp tại Sài Gòn on the Đồn Đất-Gia Long junction in 1969 and the same view of the Institut d’Échanges Culturels avec la France (IDECAF) on the same Thái Văn Lung-Lê Thánh Tôn junction today.

Since the early 2000s, hotel construction has severed Thái Văn Lung Street from the Tôn Đức Thắng Street quayside, turning it into a cul-de-sac.

Print
icon

Tim Doling is the author of the walking tours book Exploring Hồ Chí Minh City (Nhà Xuất Bản Thế Giới, Hà Nội, 2014) and also conducts 4-hour Heritage Tours of Historic Saigon and Cholon. For more information about Saigon history and Tim's tours visit his website, www.historicvietnam.com

Related Articles

in Saigon

15 Nostalgic Photos of Life in 1990s Saigon

When she arrived in Saigon in 1990, Catherine Karnow was introduced to local legends such as General Vo Nguyen Giap by her father, historian Stanley Karnow. Over the past 25 years, she has continued t...

in Saigon

20 Captivating Photos Take You Back To 1960s Saigon

Despite Saigon’s rapid modernization over the past two decades, old photos of the city from the 1960s reveal a number of persisting characteristics – from sleeping xe om drivers and seas of motorbikes...

in Saigon

20 Photos Of 1960s Phu Nhuan

Everyone in Saigon knows the drill: what's a shoe store today might be a phở stall tomorrow. Hairdressers become restaurateurs, office buildings turn into hotels and your favourite bánh mì cart could ...

in Saigon

30 Old Pictures Of Thu Duc District: Former Weekend Getaway

Thu Duc isn't exactly a place you'd consider going on holiday. Today, the suburban district is home to industrial centers, dusty roads, busy residential neighborhoods and rumbling transport trucks, un...

in Saigon

34 Of The Oldest Known Photos Of Saigon

Hanoi architect, Đoàn Bắc, and his father, Đoàn Thịnh, are known for their collections of old Vietnam photos. Among them is a set taken in Saigon, some of which date back to 1860 (the newest are from ...

in Saigon

Date With The Wrecking Ball: The Customs Directorate Building

The Customs Directorate, one of the city’s best-loved colonial landmarks, is the latest in a series of government buildings to face the threat of redevelopment.