Back Stories » Vietnam » Vietnamese Conglomerate to Invest $1bn in Solar Power Projects

Vietnamese Conglomerate to Invest $1bn in Solar Power Projects

The prospects for a significant boost in Vietnam’s renewable energy production are optimistic as real estate conglomerate TTC Group has announced plans to invest heavily in the country’s development of solar power.

As Bloomberg reports, TTC Group – a Saigon-based sugar, energy, real estate and tourism conglomerate – has earmarked around US$1 billion for construction of a slew of solar power projects in order to capitalize on Vietnam’s growing hunger for power. TTC Chief Executive Officer Thai Van Chuyen shared with the news outlet that his firm is seeking investors to fund 10 to 20 solar parks to be completed by 2018.

“Solar energy is very hot right now as the recent pricing set by the government is reasonable, development costs are much cheaper and coal-fired power plants have caused so many concerns," Chuyen told Bloomberg in an interview at TTC's headquarters. “Vietnam always needs more power every year for its expanding economy."

He also added that TTC will contribute 30% of funding for the parks, which – when finished – will provide up to 1,000 megawatts of electricity. The remaining 70% will come from banks and other financial institutions.

Vietnam’s rapid rate of development will almost double the country’s power consumption in less than a decade, according to a report by BMI research. However, most of the additional production is likely to come from gas-fired plants, according to PetroVietnam, the country’s second-largest power producer. Therefore, TTC Group’s solar projects will provide Vietnam with more environmental options to satisfy its future demand for power.

[Photo via Wikipedia]

Related Articles:

Vietnam's Energy Consumption to Double in 10 Years

Vietnam Must Invest in Renewable Resources to Solve Energy Crisis: Experts

Vietnam's Wind Energy Development Hampered by Low Profits

Related Articles

in Vietnam

$14 Million Approved For Restoration Of Hanoi’s 112-Year-Old Long Biên Bridge

The fate of one of Vietnam’s most beloved and storied structures took another positive turn last week when the government approved a $14 million restoration package for Long Biên Bridge.

in Vietnam

'Amazing Race Vietnam' Apologizes for Challenge Harming Coral Reef

An underwater challenge during this year’s installment of The Amazing Race Vietnam is not sitting well with environmentalists.

in Vietnam

'Engaging With Vietnam' Conference Ruminates on Heritage in Huế

“Living with Heritage, (Re)Creating Heritage: Vietnam and the World” is the title of the 14th Engaging with Vietnam conference, a series of activities including academic panel discussions, keynote tal...

in Vietnam

10 Killed, Over 30 Missing in Central and Northern Vietnam as Storm Son-Tinh Brings Flash Floods

Heavy rains from storm Son-Tinh, which eventually weakened to a tropical depression, have caused flash floods and fatalities in central Vietnam.

in Vietnam

104-Year-Old Great-Great Grandmother Fights Off Robber

Taking advantage of the elderly will inevitably result in some bad karma, a lesson a Dong Nai man quickly learned after attempting to rob Vo Thi Bai, a 104-year-old woman.

in Vietnam

116-Year-Old Recognized As Vietnam's Oldest Man

The Vietnam Record Organization (VRO) has recognized 116-tear-old Y'N Dong of Đắk Nông Province as the country’s oldest man, reports Vietnam Net.

Partner Content