Back Stories » Vietnam » Grab Vietnam to Increase Commission Rate to 20%, Upsets Drivers

Grab Vietnam to Increase Commission Rate to 20%, Upsets Drivers

Grab’s impending policy changes are upsetting its drivers who found the increase in commission unfair.

According to Zing, ride-hailing company Grab is rolling out a new rate of commission for all drivers in Hanoi and Saigon. Previously, the firm takes 15% of the revenue earned from each ride while drivers keep the remaining 85%. However, the new policy will increase the firm's rate to 20%.

Nguyen Thu An, Grab’s communication director, shared with the online news outlet that the purpose of the new rate is to boost service quality. She added that the 20% rate has been applied to new drivers who signed up starting from May 7, but existing drivers will start the new rate from September 5.

An told Zing that the current reward scheme for employees grants the top 20% best drivers with 5% of the revenue. There’s also plans to give out additional tips during rush hours, but she didn’t disclose specific details to the press.

Many Grab drivers are undoubtedly unhappy about the new commission rate. Some even started rebelling against the unfair policy by turning off the app or booking “ghost” rides.

The former is self-explanatory: Zing reported in a separate article that many drivers expressing their discontentment on Facebook and forums. In Hanoi, a number of them were calling for a boycott to protest in the form of inactivity on the app.

Others were craftier and tried to hijack the app by booking random rides via the customer app, letting their colleagues accept it and then cancelling the ride to prevent actual passengers from getting rides. However, the news source also noted that this wasn’t a widespread problem.

Most were just upset that the company is seeking to earn a massive amount of profit from the hard work of drivers while there are not enough incentives and rewards to conscientious employees.

Dung, a driver based in Cau Giay District in Hanoi, told Zing that support policies during rush hour are few and far in between. Grab used to grant 20% more revenue for rides during peak hours, but this is less often recently, according to Dung.

[Photo via NewsTH]


Related Articles:

Grab Reports Over 60 Drivers Assaulted by Traditional Xe Ôms

Ministry of Transport Bans Uber and Grab Carpooling Services

Uber and Grab Are Making Hanoi and Saigon's Congestion Worse: Officials


Related Articles

in Vietnam

$14 Million Approved For Restoration Of Hanoi’s 112-Year-Old Long Biên Bridge

The fate of one of Vietnam’s most beloved and storied structures took another positive turn last week when the government approved a $14 million restoration package for Long Biên Bridge.

in Vietnam

'Amazing Race Vietnam' Apologizes for Challenge Harming Coral Reef

An underwater challenge during this year’s installment of The Amazing Race Vietnam is not sitting well with environmentalists.

in Vietnam

10 Killed, Over 30 Missing in Central and Northern Vietnam as Storm Son-Tinh Brings Flash Floods

Heavy rains from storm Son-Tinh, which eventually weakened to a tropical depression, have caused flash floods and fatalities in central Vietnam.

in Vietnam

104-Year-Old Great-Great Grandmother Fights Off Robber

Taking advantage of the elderly will inevitably result in some bad karma, a lesson a Dong Nai man quickly learned after attempting to rob Vo Thi Bai, a 104-year-old woman.

in Vietnam

116-Year-Old Recognized As Vietnam's Oldest Man

The Vietnam Record Organization (VRO) has recognized 116-tear-old Y'N Dong of Đắk Nông Province as the country’s oldest man, reports Vietnam Net.

in Vietnam

12 Dead, 41 Injured After Illegal Bus Falls Into Gorge Near Sapa

12 people have been reported killed and 41 injured in a bus accident in the hills of Northern Vietnam’s Lao Cai province, reports VN Express.

Partner Content